Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Is America in Her Blue Period?


"Colorists say blue is a relaxing color. Pleasant dreams might be the end result of coloring the bedroom in shades of blue. It has a calming effect on the body: it lowers blood pressure, heart rate and respiration and in hot, humid weather has a cooling effect. Another study shows that blue in the classroom can be a good thing. Children prone to tantrums and aggressive behavior became calmer after being in a classroom painted blue. Both blind and sighted children reacted the same when placed in blue surroundings."- from HGTV's website

I'm often surprised at how much a color can effect me. Emotionally even. Does this happen to you? Each subtle shade and all of its different hues evoke emotions or memories. Color can effect me much the way a wonderful piece of music or a favorite movie does. The TV show Mad Men constantly moves me and I am often surprised by my affect after watching an episode. I think it is partly due to the dynamite design of the thing (exquisitely appropriate to the period). I know, I know. This show is much blogged about, and I am certain that I will blog in the future about Mad Men- I can't help myself. I love it. 

Blue has been an important color in Mad Men. The first Season shows Betty Draper in a very 1960's blue coat and the Draper's powder blue tufted headboard in their Master Bedroom reminds me of a bridal blue. Moody blue remains present throughout each episode, sometime it's in the background, sometimes its on a dress. In season four the new office colors are a bit younger, more modern, brighter. There is deep blue furniture outside the Don Draper's office. The fabric is almost a Mediterranean Sea blue. A perfect color for this protagonist poses as controlled and calm. But the viewer sees his moody blues.

In decor blue is easy. Non-competing. Complementary to so many other colors. A stable color that can embrace without suffocating, creating an environment where one can open up. Perhaps this is what America needs right now, stability with a side creative freedom. I am not saying I have the answers or that I would reveal them here, but the color sure is popping up as of late.-Sloane

this and the pic above are vintage House Beautiful (from website), posted via Mad Men inspiration



love this blue wool and cream silk area rug, very mid-century pattern, avail in standard sizes

Early in his career Picasso utilizes blue as a healing salve to make over wounds that a friend's death inflicts. 
Miles Davis composes subtle tonal switches in the monumental Kind of Blue.


from Vanity Fair magazine


Blue Ralph Lauren's latest fragrance, plus check out the classic American designer's blue label
 Jonathan Adler's NYC apartment from The Wall Street Journal;
this stair carpet reminds me of a David Hicks carpet we carry.